JOB TITLE: QC/QA Laboratory Technician
LOCATION: Murfreesboro TN
REPORTS TO: Director of Brewing Operations
POSITION TYPE: Full-time, Salary $40k+ Production bonus. Must be available to begin work January 25th.
EXTERNAL POSTING DATES: 1-6-2021 1-20-2021
Life is Brewing is looking for a quizzical mind, a seeker, a QC/QA lab tech that envelopes the mindset of Life is Brewing.
The perfect Lab Tech will work collaboratively with the Director of Brewing Operations to produce high quality product with efficiency for our three brands; Mantra Artisan Ales, Steel Barrel Brewing Co, Humulus Project and all our Co-pack partners. The Steel Barrel location is a state of the art brewing campus on an 84 acre property designed around fermentation science. You will be working with MTSU’s Fermentation science program daily as they have an onsite facility at our location.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collection and management of samples according to the sampling plan.
• Preparation of stock solutions and media / inoculating and incubating samples.
• Developing new microbiological approaches / microbiological troubleshooting.
• Maintenance of all laboratory data.
• SOP development and maintenance.
• Cleaning and decontamination of the laboratory.
• Helping as required to maintain all quality standards within the laboratory.
• Help the head brewer manage brewery operations of our 60BBL brew system crafting 12k+ BBLS per year.
• Lead, manage, and schedule the propagation of yeast as needed.
• Effectively represent Beer Production in weekly cross department meetings regarding Quality and Production.
• Advocates a continuous improvement culture throughout his/her team.
• Holds self and brewers accountable for adhering to SOPs and maintaining a sanitary and micro-biologically stable work environment.
• Facilitates future growth of the brewery through continuous optimization of current processes.
• Assists in implementation of new equipment and processes.
• Works with senior management on new product development initiatives.
• Maintain brewing, cellaring, filtration, packaging and other related documentation in an organized and complete manner.
• Provide hands on relief of all positions as necessary.
• Help in the creation of research projects in collaboration with MTSU staff.
REQUIRED SOFTWARE/HARDWARE USED:
• MS Office products; including Excel, Word, and Power Point a must.
• Windows 10 OS.
• Orchestrated Beer or Ekos a plus
• Drop Box and Teamwork experience a plus.
THE ULTIMATE CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
• Bachelor degree in microbiology, biology or another relevant field.
• Post graduate experience desirable.
• Experience in a food or beverage based field is desirable.
• Experienced in microbiological techniques (cultural and molecular).
• Understanding of the microbiology of food and beverage organisms, especially yeast.
• Evidence of working with good laboratory practice.
• Must be fastidious and incredibly clean.
• Able to work efficiently and with incredible attention to detail.
• Strong mechanical and problem-solving aptitude a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• The ability to work unsupervised and manage your own time and the time of others effectively
• Focus on quality and consistency of finished product
PLEASE APPLY HERE:
If you are interested in this position please supply a resume, personalized cover letter, AND portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with the header “Make me the next QC/QA Laboratory Technician”. If you do not follow those specific instructions, you will not be considered for the position.
ABOUT LIFE IS BREWING
Life is Brewing is a team of skilled hyper gregarious beer professionals that own Mantra Artisan Ales, Steel Barrel Brewing Co, and Hop Springs Beer Park. We have expanded with a new brewery in Murfreesboro TN to provide co-pack opportunities for beer, seltzer, and RTD brands.
Hop Springs is a new 60 bbl fully automated 5 vessel brewery with a canning line that can produce 2.5m cases per year. Hop Springs broke ground in the spring of 2017. The property is an 84-acre farm that has a 18 hole disc golf course, amphitheater, taproom, hiking trail, wedding venue, and of course a brewery.